Published by: Julia
Dogs really do make the best companions. I´ve been lucky enough to have 7 share my life so far and would never be without at least one in our home. Nothing cheers you up like a dog nuzzling your face or wagging his tail and rushing to greet you.
But, that doesn´t mean that they are perfect little darlings. Far from it, they can be quite naughty, sometimes downright destructive. I´ll never forget arriving home to find that my collie had torn great chunks out of our new chair. My current little darling has a habit of grabbing your hand while playing. That is not a problem for us, but it means I can´t let him play with children or visitors because they often think he is going to bite them. Using this course, I have been able to break him of that habit.
He also tends to run around your legs when you get home. When we have elderly or very young visitors that is quite dangerous. And, I can´t tell you how often he has refused to come when we are out walking. It is very dangerous when we are walking near roads. It was time to do something about that too and BrainTrainingForDogs has proved to be very effective.
You and your dog can easily benefit in the way we have. Here is a quick overview of what you can expect from this excellent dog training and pet care resource.
A little about your instructor
Refreshingly, this course has been created by a professional dog trainer. Adrienne Farricelli is a CPDT-KA certified dog trainer, who has been in the business since 2006.
Using her excellent course material, Adrienne reveals how to QUICKLY eliminate any behavioral problem… no matter how badly you think it is or how ingrained the habit is, this course will sort it all out.
Every dog without exception – has a hidden intelligence inside.
It’s an untapped resource to help you remove just about any troublesome behavior.Adrienne Farricelli – CPDT-KA Certified Dog Trainer – Brain Training for Dogs
Training that addresses the root cause of any dog´s behavioral issues
Like us, dogs can learn to behave well when required to do so, but they are also prone to reverting to “type”. When they get too excited, feel stressed, or threatened their natural instincts overwhelm them. Then, they revert and make mistakes or start to behave badly or dangerously.
Adrienne´s approach is different. She does not just apply a sticking plaster to the problem. Her training addresses the underlying causes of bad behavior. Helping your pet to become happier in the process and enabling you to build a stronger bond with your pet.
A no-force way of training your pet
Importantly, for me and many other dog owners, Adrienne takes a no force approach to training. She does not use scare tactics. For example, rattling a can of coins to frighten your dog and get them out of the habit of jumping on the sofa when you don´t want them to.
I liked this approach. In fact, I found that it had a calming impact on me too. Training my dog while remaining calm and steady got me into the habit of thinking about how I was feeling and acting at other times of the day.
What is included in the course
This is far more than just a video course, although there are plenty of them. As soon as you have paid, you will receive an email that gives you access to the member´s area. Included in your membership is:
- Dozens of easy to follow videos – Using her own dogs, and two that she had previously trained, Adrienne takes you through each exercise and task step by step. She doesn´t spend ages going round in circles, just explains clearly what you need to do. Then shows you how to do it. Her videos are short enough for you to dip in and out of while taking a coffee break.
- Two great dog-training pdfs – I like learning from PDFs, I find it easier to backtrack and find things. For me, it is far better than going back over videos in an effort to find what I need. The two dog training PDFs that are provided with this dog training course are both excellent.
- Over 100 in-depth articles – In these, Adrienne goes into detail about a huge range of subjects. She is constantly adding articles and tweaking others in light of new research into dog health and behavior.
- Reviews of the latest gadgets, gear, and kit – As new dog toys and other items are bought to market, Adrienne reviews them. So, if you are wondering whether buying an automatic ball thrower for your dog is a good idea, she has you covered. If you do decide to buy one you can compare what is available and pick out the best ball thrower by clicking here.
- Case studies – I didn´t personally use this information, but it was interesting to read about issues other owners have been able to overcome. To hear how Adrienne finds a way to get past the more knotty issues.
- The ability to ask an expert dog trainer for advice – I particularly like the fact that you can ask Adrienne and her team questions. They actually respond and provide practical advice that is tailored to your needs.
- A user forum – If you want to talk things through with other owners, you can easily do so using their forum. It is especially interesting to talk to people who have the same breed as you.
How the training is broken down into manageable chunks
Unlike some other course providers, Adrienne has provided training that covers every type of dog. But, importantly, in other sections, she also drills down and addresses the needs of each age group, type, and temperament. The main way she does this is by breaking the member´s area down into these well-defined sections:
- Puppy training
- General dog training
- Addressing behavioral problems
- Teaching your dog new tricks
During these courses, she always includes ways for you to strengthen your bond with your dog. Teaching you how to help your dogs to learn new skills one by one. All the time building their intelligence and, therefore, their ability to learn more.
Behavioral training for dogs
I personally focused on this section because my dog is already 11 years old. As well as being a rescue dog, something that lead us to indulge him and let him develop some bad habits. All of which Adrienne explained how to address in her training. Here is an overview of the behavioral issues you can solve using BrainTrainingForDogs:
- Inappropriate barking
- Pulling on the lead
- Not coming when called
- Not being able to follow simple commands
- Digging all of the time
- Jumping up at you and other people (see the video below – I followed it exactly and it worked. It only took me about an hour to break my dog of this habit.)
- Whining and howling
- Constant attention seeking
- Dirtying or peeing in the wrong places
- Poor impulse control
- A wide range of psychological issues
That is a lot and I am pretty sure I have missed a few things. The training principles you learn from Adrienne can potentially be applied to any doggy issues you or friends and family may be experiencing.
One of the best things about this course is the fact that Adrienne does not take a one size fits all approach. She recognizes that each dog is an individual. That the situations they have faced and how they live now all have a huge impact on how they behave.
For example, some dogs bark inappropriately all of the time. While others only do so in certain circumstances. Maybe only at neighbors, or when someone rings the doorbell. These appear to be similar situations, so you might think you can use a single training technique to cover all of those issues. But the reason your dog is barking in each of those situations is usually not the same. So, you will actually need to use two different techniques to stop your dog from barking inappropriately.
You May Also Like: Gift Ideas for Students – Online Courses
Have fun teaching your dog tricks and playing engaging games with them
Play is a great way to exercise your dog and build up their intelligence. Dogs live to please their owners, so derive a great deal of pleasure from learning and performing tricks. Adrienne shows you how to teach your dog to:
- Take a bow
- Cover their eyes
- Shake hands
- Play dead
- How to stack rings
- and much more
If you want to you can build on what they have learned and come up with new tricks for them to learn.
Adrienne has also created games that are designed specifically to engage a dog and build up his or her intelligence. My dog particularly enjoys the airplane game. It is great fun and a good way to get me moving. I swear since we have been doing it my own balance and agility have improved.
Who is BrainTraining4Dogs for?
Personally, I would say this course is for anyone who owns a dog. From what I have read, seen, and experienced I think it would help:
- Any dog breed
- Every age group from puppyhood to old-age
- Any kind of owner
- Dogs that have behavioral problems
- Nervous dogs
- Excitable dogs
- Any dog that likes to play and learn new tricks
Even dogs that are already well-behaved will benefit from completing the training.
Why I recommend this training
I really liked this course and highly recommend it. Teaching your dog through kindness and play is something that fits in with the way most dog-owners want to be with their pet.
This course is:
Delivered by a certified instructor
Easy to follow
Includes ongoing access to advice from a certified dog trainer
Suitable for anyone to use
Extremely competatively priced
Fun for both you and your dog
Effective for all types of dog
Delivered in several different formats so you can learn in a way that is effective for you
Uses a gentle no-force training method
The content is delivered in several different formats and the support you get is excellent. There is no downside to buying this dog training course.
However, if you are still not convinced that Brain Training for Dogs is right for you and your dog, please take a look at my review of Brandon McMillan´s masterclass. He takes a different approach from Adrienne, one which may appeal to you more. Both courses are actually very good, so just pick the one that you feel will work best for you.